Often times, fires turn out to be dangerous and life taking if one is not properly equipped with Fire safety systems. Fire safety deals with the safety measures to be taken to minimize or avoid the accidental cases of fire. Fire safety measures need to be part of the planning, and need to be implemented in the construction. Some of the common Fire hazards in a work place are listed below;
- Overloaded electrical systems results in hot wiring or connections, or failed components
- Smoking (Cigars, cigarettes, lighters, pipes, etc.)
- Combustibles equipment that generates heat, flame, or sparks
- Cooking appliances
- Heating appliances
- Electronic and electrical equipment
In order to protect the employees at a work place, it is necessary to have the required awareness about Fire Safety. Every quarter, the electrical wiring needs to be inspected for any visible damage. Do no compromise on the quality of electrical wiring and equipment. Always, ensure that electrical heating equipment is kept away from combustible materials. Use correct fuses, and do not plug too many appliances at one point. In order to minimize fire damage, use Fire Sprinkler Systems, Fire alarms and Fire Pumps
Smoking is one of the most common causes of fire in offices, homes, or even in public areas. Cigarettes butts that are not properly extinguished can easily re-ignite and result in a disastrous fire accident. Always, ensure that cigarettes and matches are completely extinguished before you toss them away. Never smoke in an enclosed area where inflammable substances or solvents are present.
The following fire safety equipment at work place will help to minimize the loss due to fire;
- It is important to have Smoke Detector which detect smoke and issue a warning to a fire alarm system. The smoke detectors need to be inspected at least once a quarter, and the batteries need to be changed at least once a year.
- A Fire Sprinkler System is the most efficient way to protect work places from fire hazards. Fire Sprinkler System senses abnormal amounts of smoke or fire and it gets activated and helps contain the fire
- A Fire Hydrant is considered a source of regular water supply that fire fighters tap into incase of a fire. Buildings near fire hydrant are benefited by immediate access to source of water in case fire incident happens.
- Standpipes are rigid vertical pipe to which fire hoses can be connected. Standpipes are available at every level of a structure, so in case of a fire one can use them and minimize the fire hazards.
It is essential to create awareness about the following details in a work place.
- Location of the nearest fire alarm and fire extinguisher
- Kind of fire extinguisher
- Handling such equipment
- Location of fire exits
- Types of fire fighting equipment – sprinklers, fire blankets, hoses and monitors,
- Emergency numbers to call